ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable
In 2005, the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® (ACS GCI) and global pharmaceutical corporations developed the ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable (ACS GCIPR) to encourage innovation while catalyzing the integration of green chemistry and green engineering in the pharmaceutical industry. The activities of the ACS GCIPR reflect the joint belief that the pursuit of green chemistry and green engineering is imperative for a sustainable business and world environment.
- Sustainable Practices in Medicinal Chemistry: Current State and Future Directions, Marian C. Bryan , Barry Dillon , Lawrence G. Hamann , Gregory J. Hughes , Michael E Kopach , Emily A Peterson , Mehrnaz Pourashraf , Izzat Raheem , Paul F Richardson , Daniel Tyler Richter , and Helen F. Sneddon, J. Med. Chem., Just Accepted Manuscript, April 15, 2013 (web), DOI: 10.1021/jm400250p.
- Solvent Choices and Sustainable Chemistry, Guido M. Kemeling, ChemSusChem, December 3, 2012, 5(12) pp291-2292, DOI: 10.1002/cssc.201200873
- Expanding the Boundaries: Developing a Streamlined Tool for Eco-Footprinting of Pharmaceuticals, Concepción Jiménez-González, Caleb Ollech, William Pyrz, David Hughes, Quirinus B. Broxterman, and Neil Bhathela, Org. Process Res. Dev., 2013, 17 (2), pp 239–246, Publication Date (Web): January 3, 2013 (Article), DOI: 10.1021/op3003079
- Continuous Processing in the Manufacture of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients and Finished Dosage Forms: An Industry Perspective, Peter Poechlauer, Julie Manley, Rinus Broxterman, Björn Gregertsen, and Mats Ridemark, Process Res. Dev., 2012, 16 (10), pp 1586–1590, Publication Date (Web): September 18, 2012 (Concept Article), DOI: 10.1021/op300159y
- Green Chemistry is Good Process Chemistry, Trevor Laird (Editor), Org. Process Res. Dev., 2012, 16 (1), pp 1–2, DOI: 10.1021/op200366y
- Innovations in Pharmaceutical Technology (IPT), December 2012 issue, pages 72-75. www.iptonline.com
- Use of the Electronic Laboratory Notebook to Facilitate Green Chemistry Within the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Pharma Strives for Green Goals, Stephen K. Ritter, Chemical & Engineering News, 90(22), May 28, 2012.
L. Amarnath, Ian Andrews, Rakeshwar Bandichhor, Apurba Bhattacharya, Peter Dunn, John Hayler, William Hinkley, Nicole Holub, David Hughes, Luke Humphreys, Bernard Kaptein, Hare Krishnen, Kurt Lorenz, SujuMathew, G. Nagaraju, Thomas Rammeloo, Paul Richardson, Lijun Wang, Andrew Wells, Timothy White, Org. Process Res. Dev., 2012, 16 (4), pp 535–544 DOI: 10.1021/op300068d
- Greener Journals, Stephen K. Ritter, Chemical & Engineering News, 90(5), January 30, 2012.
- Green Chemistry: Pharmaceutical Roundtable Shares Assessment Tool With Suppliers, Ann M. Thayer with reporting by Rick Mullin, Chemical & Engineering News, 89(9), February 28, 2011
- Using the Right Green Yardstick: Why Process Mass Intensity Is Used in the Pharmaceutical Industry to Drive More Sustainable Processes; Concepcion Jimenez-Gonzalez, Celia S. Ponder, Quirinus B. Broxterman, and Julie B. Manley; Org. Process Res. Dev., 2011, 15 (4), pp 912–917, DOI: 10.1021/op200097d.
- Key Green Engineering Research Areas for Sustainable Manufacturing: A Perspective from Pharmaceutical and Fine Chemicals Manufacturers; Concepción Jiménez-González, Peter Poechlauer, Quirinus B. Broxterman, Bing-Shiou Yang, David am Ende, James Baird, Carl Bertsch, Robert E. Hannah, Phil Dell’Orco, Henk Noorman, Sandy Yee, Raf Reintjens, Andrew Wells, Viviane Massonneau, and Julie Manley; Org. Process Res. Dev., 2011, 15 (4), pp 900–911, DOI: 10.1021/op100327d.
- Green Chemistry Articles of Interest to the Pharmaceutical Industry; Ian Andrews, Peter Dunn, John Hayler, Bill Hinkley, David Hughes, Bernard Kaptein, Kurt Lorenz, Suju Mathew, Thomas Rammeloo, Lijun Wang, Andrew Wells, Timothy Donald White; Org. Process Res. Dev., 2011, 15 (1), pp 22–30, DOI: 10.1021/op1003105.
highlights recent accomplishments of the ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable.
- Green Chemistry Articles of Interest to the Pharmaceutical Industry; Ian Andrews, Jian Cui, Leo Dudin, Peter Dunn, John Hayler, Bill Hinkley, David Hughes, Bernard Kaptein, Kurt Lorenz, Suju Mathew, Thomas Rammeloo, Lijun Wang, Andrew Wells, Timothy Donald White; Org. Process Res. Dev., 2010, 14 (4), pp 770–780, DOI: 0.1021/op100116s.
- Green Chemistry Articles of Interest to the Pharmaceutical Industry; Ian Andrews, Jian Cui, Jimmy DaSilva, Leo Dudin, Peter Dunn, John Hayler, Bill Hinkley, David Hughes, Bernard Kaptein, Kurt Lorenz, Suju Mathew, Thomas Rammeloo, Lijun Wang, Andrew Wells, Timothy White, Fuyao Zhang; Org. Process Res. Dev., 2010, 14 (1), pp 19–29, DOI: 10.1021/op900295s.
Tools and Presentations
ACS GCIPR's mission is to catalyze the implementation of green chemistry and green engineering in the global pharmaceutical industry.
To achieve this mission, the ACS GCIPR identified four strategic priorities:
- Inform and Influence the Research Agenda
- Tools for Innovation
- Education Resource
- Global Collaboration
The ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable welcomes the active participation of member companies meeting the following descriptions:
Any corporation, or subsidiary, division or unit thereof, significantly engaged in the manufacture and marketing of finished dosage form ethical pharmaceutical or biological products under his or its own brand names for the cure, alleviation, mitigation, treatment, prevention or diagnosis of disease, and significantly engaged in pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical or biological research and development of new molecular entities or new therapies, preventative, or in vivo diagnostics, or new systems of therapy, prevention, or diagnosis and who will continue to conduct such research and development.
Associates shall be corporations, or subsidiaries, divisions or units thereof, not eligible for membership under Members above, who are:
- Significantly engaged in research and development on their own behalf or as a provider of contract research and development services to companies meeting the definition of Member, directly related to the development or production of ethical pharmaceutical or biological products for the cure, alleviation, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease.
- Significantly engaged in the manufacture of intermediates, active pharmaceutical ingredient, or finished dosage form ethical pharmaceutical or biological products.
- Associates shall have all the rights, privileges and duties prescribed by the Business Plan, and such other rights, privileges and duties as the Management Team may from time to time establish by resolution, except the right to vote.
As the convener of the ACS GCIPR, The ACS Green Chemistry Institute® is considered to be a Member with all its rights and privileges.