Global Challenges/Chemistry Solutions
Our Sustainable Future
Did You Know?
- The United States has 5 percent of the world’s population and uses 23 percent of the world’s energy.
- Only 10 percent of the electricity in an incandescent light bulb becomes light. The other 90 percent is wasted as heat.
- A compact fluorescent light bulb uses 75 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb – and it can last up to four years.
- An energy-smart clothes washer can save more water in one year than one person drinks in an entire lifetime.
- 80 percent of Earth’s original forests cover is gone
|We humans are consumers. We consume food. We consume gasoline and electricity. We consume paper and plastics, cotton, and polyester. Faced with concerns about dwindling petroleum supplies and environmental pollution, we must begin to consume in a new and more sustainable way.
Experience this podcast:
Science for Kids
Hands on activities for young aspiring chemists
A magazine for high school students
Careers in Chemistry
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS®)
Focusing on the sustainability topic of alternative solvents, SciFinder®, a research tool produced by CAS (a division of the American Chemical Society), found 655 references published this year on the use of carbon dioxide as a solvent. Specifying the concept "supercritical carbon dioxide" as a solvent yielded 304 references for the same timeframe. A more general search in SciFinder for use of "supercritical fluids" as solvents found 339 references.
The CAS databases cover references from more than 10,000 major scientific journals and 57 patent authorities worldwide.
In the News
- Solar Decathlon stars sustainable designs
ES&T, Oct. 31, 2007
- Green chemistry gets the prize
ES&T, July 18, 2007
- Ensuring environmentally sustainable coal use
ES&T, July 11, 2007
- Model cities for sustainability
ES&T, June 13, 2007
- Sharing sustainable solutions
ES&T, April 4, 2007
- Sustainable agriculture delivers the crops
ES&T, Dec. 21, 2005
- Anastas, P.T., Warner J.C., 2000, Green Chemistry: Theory and Practice, Oxford University Press, USA
- Manahan, S., 2005, Green Chemistry and the Ten Commandments of Sustainability, 2nd edition, ChemChar Research Inc.
- McDonough, W., Braungart, M., 2002, Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things, North Point Press
- Edwards, A.R., Orr,. D.W., 2005, The Sustainability Revolution: Portrait of a Paradigm Shift, New Society Publishers
- Esty, D.C., Winston, A.S., 2006, Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage, Yale University Press
- Dresner, S., 2002, The Principles of Sustainability, Earthscan Publications, Ltd.
Sources for this podcast
Meet the Scientists