Activities & Messages
Local Sections can create and build relationships with elected officials and let them know about policy issues of interest to chemists. Consider:
- inviting elected officials to one of your events
- including officials in your Local Section newsletter correspondence
- setting up a meeting, by video or in their office
A brief synopsis of several popular activities follows. For assistance and more information email Kathryn Verona or call 1-800-227-5558, ext. 4384.
Visit Your Lawmakers
- Visit your lawmakers in DC!
- Go to legislators’ Town Hall meetings and raise the profile of chemistry-related policies.
- Join legislators’ distribution lists to learn about Town Hall meetings and other open office hours.
- Participate in a video conference meeting with legislators.
- Most legislators have this capability.
Invite Your Lawmakers to Visit You
- Invite public officials to speak at a local section meeting.
- Ask a legislator or school board member to present awards to students or teachers.
- Sponsor an award for public service.
- Hold a symposium on a public affairs topic.
- Send invitations to your elected representatives to attend activities.
- Send elected officials a copy of any past publicity or recognition you have received regarding your NCW or other events.
- Invite legislators to tour your laboratory or workplace. This activity is most effective if the tour takes place in a legislator’s district. Be sure to work with constituents to issue the invitation.
- Send your lawmakers your local section newsletter.
- Publicize GAC activities in the newsletter or on your website.