Chemists Celebrate Earth Day Community Event
Be Creative; Take Action
ACS encourages you to organize your own unique activities to promote Chemists Celebrate Earth Day that can be relevant and engaging within your community. Do something sustainable that has a direct impact on where you live.
Below are some suggestions on where to begin:
- Adopt a Stream in your community. Pick a lake or stream to clean up trash/debris that potentially litters water sheds. Other ideas for adopting a stream or watershed may be found here.
- Organize a “Recycling Challenge” event whereby teams (formed by class, grade, school, etc.) compete to determine who can collect the most items to recycle.
- Organize a community gardening or plant a tree event.
- Hold a “Reduce Your Carbon Footprint” challenge involving the community.
- Host a Science Café on the environmental aspects of the four CCED topics of air, soil, recycling, or water.
- Perform hands-on activity demonstrations for the public at local venues, such as malls, schools, and libraries.
- Be creative and organize your own innovative or engaging event. Your section may nominate the event for one of two ChemLuminary Awards. Contact your local section officer for details.