Educate to Innovate
Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM)
To identify outstanding individual or organizational mentoring programs designed to enhance the in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
October 5, 2011
It's about instilling in a young person a love of learning and a sense of possibility in their own lives. …That's what we have to do as a nation. That's what all of you do every day.”
President Barack Obama, Remarks on the "Educate to Innovate" Campaign (1/16/10)
The PAESMEM award—part of the Educate to Innovate campaign—recognizes mentoring achievements of the nominee(s). Recipients will be invited to Washington, D.C. for:
- an awards ceremony
- recognition events
- meetings with leaders in Federal sector education and research
- focused workshops addressing effective mentoring of persons from underrepresented groups.
NSF Review Criteria
NSF will look to the following criteria to evaluate PAESMEM nominations:
- Were the mentoring activities innovative within the context of the institution or level of persons being mentored?
- Did the nominee provide assessment to prove the mentoring activities were successful?
- Were data included that tracked the mentees beyond the mentoring activities?
- Were the mentoring activities sustainable or institutionalized?
- How well-qualified is the nominee (individual or team)?
- To what extent does the mentoring activity suggest and explore creative, original or potentially transformative concepts in mentoring?
- How well did the mentoring activity broaden the participation and retention of individuals (including persons with disabilities, women and minorities) who might not otherwise have considered or had access to opportunities in STEM?
- Were the results disseminated broadly to enhance understanding of mentoring practices?
- How well-conceived and organized was the mentoring activity?
- What were the benefits of these mentoring activities to society?
How to nominate a person or organization for a PAESMEM award.